Donating Stuffed Animals

One of my recent learnings is that it is difficult to donate stuffed animals.  Hospitals and shelters generally don’t want them because of possible contamination.  The fire departments don’t want them because they receive new stuffed animals to give to kids and don’t want used ones.  The east bay animal shelters didn’t want them because there are too many stuffed animal parts that might possibly be dangerous to the dogs and cats.  But, I found success with the San Francisco SPCA.  They happily take donations of used stuffed animals.  It seems like they have a large volunteer network who can sort the donations and give appropriate stuffed toys to the animals who can love them without being harmed by them.  I hope there are some happy dogs and cats snuggling with their new soft friends because of KinderCycle.

Comments

1. Chris Ellis says:

I’m the director of the Teddy Bear Brigade a program of Gleaning for the World, a 501c.3 non-profit located in Central VA. We accept donations of new and gently used stuffed animals for use as humanitarian aid and disaster relief in developing countries. For more information you can visit our website at http://gftw.org/current-projects/teddybearbrigade/. If you’d like to mail your stuffed animals to us please mail them to:

Gleaning for the World
    Att: Teddy Bear Brigade
    7539 Stage Road / P.O. Box 645
    Concord, VA 24538

Thanks, Chris.

2. Lisa Borders says:

Hello! If anyone has stuffed animals in good condition I could really use them for my ministry, Birthweight Buddies! I make the weighted stuffed animals to donate to grieving families that have lost a baby. They match the weight of the baby that died so that the families can hold them in their arms through their healing process. They are also great for families to use for family photos as a way to include their baby that is no longer here with them. Any donations are greatly appreciated! Take care!

3. Sandhya Gorur says:

Hi, I have 4 very large boxes full of gently (and sometimes barely) used stuffed animals, that belonged to my three beautiful girls that are all grown up and more than ready to part with them to other Children. Please let me know how and where I can donate these. I would hate to see these in a landfill somewhere. Thank you!

• Jonathan says:

Hi Sandhya:

If you’re able to hang on to them a little longer, we do swap toys at KinderCycle. So if you’re able to bring them to our next swap, which will most likely be in March, I’m sure they’ll make their way to good families there!

4. Donna Rickerson says:

I have so many great “like new” stuffed animals that I would love to donate for your project. Please tell me how I can send them to you. I look forward to hearing from you soon….

5. Ann Manderscheid says:

I have some that I would like to send you. Please let me know where. Thanks!